E-Library Help Desk Institutions Muhamma map Alappuzha

Fr. Francis Pullukattu
(Parish Priest)

Asst. Vicar. Kachamkode-Antony

St.George Church

Parish History

In ancient days the Catholics of Muhamma depended on the churches at Pallippuram and Vechur for worship and prayer. With the erection of a Catholic church at Kudavechur in 1463, all the Catholics who had been living on either banks of Vembanattukayal south of Pallippuram and Vaikom under the jurisdiction........

Read More



  

The most important place of worship of the Christianity is the St.George church. It is situated at the beautiful lake side of Vembanadu. The blessed and God given St. George church is worshiped by a huge mass comprising of more than hundred Christian families The church is a main attraction of Muhamma because of the beautiful scenery around it. The small elevation of the lake that extends up to the market place runs along by the side of the church. The boat service from Muhamma to Kumarakom starts from the boat-jetty situated near by the church. The passers by will certainly have a look at the church. The church is comprising of three main buildings and beautiful cemetery. The first is the serene place of worship. The second is the parish hall and the third is Sunday school.
The church was established by the Rev. Alexander, pattarayil in the Malayalam year 1001 in the month of karkidaka on the day of 28th(AD1826) Before the church came in to being the Christian community at Muhamma attended the rituals relating to their religion at their diocese church of kudavechoor the property for the construction of the church was donated by chandy chacko pattarayil. It was an appropriate place for the church because the vembanadu lake was then an important commercial route. The popular landlord of the place manjezhath menon exteded his full support to the Christianity for the church. Chengalakattu Thomman Tharakan, Pattara chandy chacko, and chalangady Mathan were the important personalities behind the building up of the church in 1855AD The church was reconstructed. In 1930 Rev. Fr. Joseph Nelluvelil buil tup a new church Fr. Abraham Chanhamkary builtup rooms in two stories. KARMALEETHA MADAM was also established by him. The cross the junction of Muhamma was constructed by Fr. Zacharias The present church was constructed at the time when Fr. Abraham was incharge of the church on 18th may 1981 and the parishhall also was established by Fr. Abraham mupparathara. At present a holy number of eleven fathers and seven sisters work for gold for Muhamma church
Now Rev. Fr. Varghese Kalayil in charge of the St. George church and he is assisted by Rev.Fr.Jacob kuraserry.